Wanting to know the signs of a perfectionist? It could be someone you know. Textbooks and similar resources are tricky to consume. So here is my list of movies and songs as well as talks to help you realise the intricacies of a perfectionist.
Movies and music communicate so much more than text in some cases and for most people. Let’s have a look at the ones that indicate to us the specialness and issues of being a perfectionist.
List of podcasts on perfectionism
Podcasts looking at perfectionism traits:
- Michael Hyatt: Win at Work, Succeed at Life – listen in for help with beating perfectionism.
- Alen Standish: Progress not Perfection. Alen connects his binge eating to perfectionism. Though, his talks relate to how to combat perfectionism in general.
- Perfectionism – Unfolded Hearts Talk.
- The Perfectionism Project – podcast by Sam Laura Brown
movies and series showing perfectionism traits
Movies give a visual of perfectionism at play. Some movies with characters exhibiting perfectionism include:
- Beautiful Mind with Russel Crowe.
- Perfect with John Travolta.
- The Good Place
- List 1: Most popular ‘perfection’ movies from IMDB
- List 2: from IMDB
audios for coping with perfectionism
How to deal with the downsides of perfectionism? Anxiety couples with perfectionism, as I covered in When and How to Let Go of My Perfectionism. The daily habits of successful people deal with anxiety. The following coaching audios may also help.
- Think Perfect! Overcoming Perfectionism Affirmations: The best affirmations for perfectionists who’d like to be a little less perfectionist! by Kim Fleckenstein
Music on Being Perfect
Songs can communicate the quirks of being perfect.
- Pink: Perfect.
- Kate Perry: Firework.
- Leonard Cohen: Anthem.
- Ed Sheeran: Perfect.
- Kenny Rogers: The Gambler.
- “You’ve got to know when to hold ’em / Know when to fold ’em / Know when to walk away / And know when to run”
- 14 free playlists for Perfectionism (via 8tracks)
- YouTube free playlist: Songs to heal perfectionism
Being Perfect Quotes
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~
Mistakes are the portals of discovery. ~ James Joyce
I am unique. I am important. I will
Ted Talks around perfectionism
- Charly Haversat: Perfectionism holds us back
- Brené Brown: Listening to Shame. Brown sees shame being the basis for perfectionism
Also check out the books on the subject.
Live and Dare course
Excessive perfectionism and procrastination interfere with personal achievement. Fear is at the root of these patterns that keep you stuck. The Live and Dare online training program offers highly effective tips, strategies, and proven techniques to overcome fear and break these patterns…check it out.